The Instituto Camões - Portuguese Cultural Centre in New Delhi, inaugurated on February 14, 1991, by the Portuguese Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Dr. Durão Barroso, focuses on the teaching and dissemination of the Portuguese language and culture, by conducting courses specific to the market needs. The Centre also boasts of a reference library having over 6,400 volumes available for consultation.
Besides courses of Portuguese language, the Cultural Centre also holds various cultural activities, having organized the following during 2020/21:
- Participation of the Portuguese writers Filipa Martins, in two literary festivals (Hyderabad & Thiruvananthapuram), and Ana Filomena Amaral (Pune);
- Recital by the Rão Kyao quintet;
- Portuguese guitar concert by Ricardo Martins;
- Participation in the Calcutta International Classical Guitar Festival by the Portuguese guitarist Fernanda Maciel;
- Performance by the Portuguese Fado singer Ana Pinhal;
- Portuguese National Anthem interpreted by the Indian Fado singer Nadia Rebelo from Goa;
- Virtual event between the Portuguese guitarist Fernanda Maciel and Fado singer from Goa, Sonia Shirsat;
- Two e-talk sessions with the participation of eminent Indian and Portuguese architects, including the Pritzker awardee Álvaro Siza Vieira;
- A virtual exhibition by the Portuguese artist Daniela Reis; &
- Portuguese participation in international film festivals by Cine Central, Calcutta, and European Union with the feature films “Peregrination” and “Listen” respectively.
The network of the Instituto Camões, I.P. in India is constituted by this Cultural Centre in New Delhi, two Leitorados (Portuguese visiting lectureships), one at the Delhi University and other at the University of Goa as well as the Portuguese Language Centre (Centro de Língua Portuguesa - IC/CLP), inaugurated in 2005, at Panaji, Goa.
4, Panchsheel Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Tel: +91-11-46025135, 46025136